Monday, September 29, 2014

MFT Sketch: Birthday for a Friend

My 14-year old son fancies himsel a chef.  I am SO lucky!  He loves to cook and he loves to eat.  So when we decided to have friends over last night, guess who did the meal?  He made his own recipe - Rustic Pasta with Sweet Italian Sausage, and on the side he had Roasted Brussel Sprouts.   He even had an antipasti platter with various Italian meats and cheeses, marinated Mozzarella and Castelvetrano olives (which took three stores to find).  I was going to take pictures of everything so you could all drool - but I was too busy eating!

When we scheduled the meal, I had no idea that it was our friend's birthday in a week.  Thank goodness for Facebook sending me a reminder!  So before they came over, while my son was upstairs cooking and my husband was cleaning(!), I was downstairs doing a birthday card.

I recently got My Favorite Thing's Spotlight Sentiments.  I knew that they would make fabulous cards with the simple addition of a diecut flower.  I did my first one early this week - see it here.  I liked the look so much, I did it in a different layout for this card.

Happy Birthday Happy Birthday

My colors came from the patterned paper which is Fancy Pants True Friend.  I have the entire collection of My Favorite Things cardstock and inks and  but it turns out they are missing anything in the coral and/or cantaloupe family which I needed for this paper.  Hey MFT!!  I'm thinking it's time for some new colors!!

The layout is from their current sketch.  I the love diagonal but the vertical lines gave me enough of a headache that I almost didn't do it.  I kept going and I REALLY like the final result.  That's why I use the sketches, and other people create the sketches.


  • Stamps: My Favorite Things Spotlight Sentiments, Woodgrain Background
  • Paper: Fancy Pants True Friend 6x6 dsp, My Favorite Things Natural and Berrylicious, Stampin' Up Crisp Cantaloupe and Calypso Coral
  • Ink: Versamark, My Favorite Things Natural
  • Accessories: My Favorite Things Gerbera Daisy die, Layered Leaves die, Lemon Drop button

12 comments:

  1. wow pretty card.. love your embossing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty, Kim ... the sweet flower is so dimensional ... perfect against the white embossing! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the patterned paper goodness on this card :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card, Kim! This is a fantastic take on the sketch. And when are we all invited over for dinner??!! Sounds like everything was a hit. Bev

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um….I need to sign my boys up for that schedule! Then maybe I'll stamp something like this. :-) Awesome card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous take on the sketch, and a huge yeah for the men in the house!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your card is stunning, Kim and I know your friend adored it, as do I! Your son's chef's skills extraordinaire (that meals sounds divine!) and your husband's willingness to clean - WOW!! Glad they stepped up to the plate (no pun intended) to leave you time to create this ever-so-thoughtful card!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got it sorted - son cooking, hubby cleaning, you cardmaking, sounds like the ideal family life ;) Love the sentiment banner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lucky are you that your son is a chef in the making! I love the mix of colors on this card. Your design is perfect for showing off these patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a shame we didn't get the yummy meal photos! But ... The card definitely makes up for that! Love the paper ... Love the way you popped the sentiment in ... And ... Love that sketch! You are making my fingers itchy! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOLOL I know what you mean... I just ordered Simon Says ink this week so I would have a coral! :) This is awesome, Kim! Love how you used the sentiment stamp, and the flower and outline leaf is perfect and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!