Monday, April 21, 2014

Celebration of Faith with Big Balloons!!

Confirmation is a big event in a Lutheran church.  Every Wednesday night for three years, our middle schoolers gather for a meal, worship, lessons and sometimes service projects.  At the end of the program, they have to write a two minute faith statement which they have to read in front of the entire congregation. We think their efforts are worthy of a big party!!  In years past, we have held a formal sit-down dinner for those finishing the program, but this year we started thinking that that dinner was probably more for the families and less exciting for the 8th graders.  So this year, we are having a dance!

Of course, it falls to me to create the invitations for the event.  In this case, I wanted the fun of the dance, but also some formality.  The balloons were an obvious choice because as we were planning how to get the kids to dance, we came up with the idea of balloons all over the dance floor.  The colors come from this week's colourQ challenge which I thought was a perfect mix of fresh and fun colors, yet still grounded and somewhat more formal with the gray.  I do have to make thirty of these - so they aren't overly complicated. The only hard part will be waiting for the embossing paste to dry.

Celebration of Faith

I haven't started the boys' cards yet, but my plan is to change the peach in the sentiment and the second layer to the Baja Breeze.

I also sprinkled a little glitter on top of the embossing paste.

Celebration close-up

The colors are from colourQ.


OK then...I am off to stamp about 90 balloons and smear paste over a hundred little stars!!

  • Stamps: My Favorite Things Party Balloons, sentiment is computer-generated
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Basic Gray and Peach Parfait
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Baja Breeze, Peach Parfait, So Saffron, Basic Gray
  • Accessories: My Favorite Things Fishtail Layers die, Dreamweaver Embossing Paste, Martha Stewart Fine Crystal glitter, Heidi Swapp Confetti stencil

7 comments:

  1. This card is fabulous!! I love the embossed stars with the glitter over them. They are a fabulous addition to a lovely card!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful invitations, Kim. I'm sure the kids will be impressed. Good luck with the whole event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure the kids will appreciate a fun dance to celebrate this momentous occasion and their parents will appreciate receiving a hand-made card as a memento. Balloons are a perfect choice, as well as sparkly stars!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful!! Love the sparkly stars over the balloons :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like it's going to be something extra special for the kids Kim! Your invitation is so pretty and the baja breeze will be great for the boys. Thanks so much for joining us at the ColourQ!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is brilliant, Kim! You totally captured all facets of the occasion. I especially love the clear stars!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!