Friday, September 25, 2015

Papertrey September Blog Hop Challenge

I sat down yesterday with watercolors for the first time. I watched videos from my favorite cardmakers because I wanted to learn to do a watercolor wash background. I figured it would be easy. Wrong!! Eight hours later, I was still "washing"! In fairness I worked on soft blue skies, and vivid stripes, and warm grays, so I didn't actually do the same thing over and over. I did get some backgrounds that I really liked. My biggest problem is control . . . or lack of control. I'd get a background that I liked, but then maybe blow it with some out-of-control splatter - and I'd want to replicate it. It can't be done. The experts say to embrace that lack of control and learn to love whatever happens.  For me...not so much.



Anyway, I knew that I also wanted to play with fall colors. I had today's Papertrey Ink Blog Hop in my challenge log and realized that it was a chance to do a gray background with a vividly-colored leaf. I got back to "washing" first thing this morning - only three tries to get the background.

Warm Autumn Wishes

I'm not totally happy - I wish I had made the left edge of the gray softer and I wish the splatter were more around the leaf - but I'm trying really hard to embrace the lack of control!  However, I love the colorful leaf - swirls of fall colors are fun to do and they definitely don't need control!!

Warm Autumn Close
My family was most amused that I wanted to become proficient at watercoloring in 8 hours when artists spend their lifetime working at it!  Today my focus is going to be watercoloring images - I'm thinking that might be better for me.  Adding color to defined spaces seems much more controlled!!

SUPPLY LIST

20 comments:

  1. Gorgeous watercolor, Kim! I really like the gray shading behind the beautiful leaf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a '1st timer' you look to be a pro! Gorgeous grey shading. But your leaves are the stars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! The gray is a great touch and the leaf is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your "lack of control" card Kim! Your gray background is just perfect against your colorful leaf and makes it really pop! Lovely, lovely card!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card! The leaf is awesome! I love your background wash. I too struggle with the control aspect of this technique (ok, any technique).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooo lovely, Kim. Love the water coloring. I've been admiring that die. BTW, I think you could play this over at AAA Cards Autumn Colors challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is stunning, Kim! I think you've mastered that whole watercolored background! I struggle with it too. Yours looks like a pro!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great take on the challenge. So pretty with the water coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card! Love the colors on your leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful take on the colors of autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful! That grey/black w/c background is creative and beautiful and unexpected - it gives the whole card a very artistic feel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kim, I can SO relate to your watercoloring experience! But I do think that your card turned out beautifully!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You go girl! I have get to attempt the watercolouring but you have inspired me. Love the effect and well done embracing the lack of control with the paints :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is beautiful! I love the watercolouring you added to the background!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with you, the lack of control (not to mention the waiting time to dry) is not for me!! Yours turned out great though Kim. The colors on your leaf are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a beautiful card, Kim! You made me laugh with your control issues coming up while you "learned" watercolour in 8 hours! I use watercolouring as therapy to help learn to let go and be a little less controlled, so hard for a perfectionist, haha! Your efforts paid off with this gorgeous leaf and background.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful leaf & I like your washed background!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous card Kim! That leaf looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Don't agree... I think the card is perfect. The dark areas emphasize the beautiful leaf! I appreciate the inspiration for this diecut thks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!