Monday, March 18, 2013

Day 1: Online Class Pattern Play

This is my second post for today!

I decided to enroll in the Online Card Class: Pattern Play to learn more about the use of patterned paper.

I don't use patterned paper too much, let along mixing various patterns.  But somehow, those cute papers and 6x6 pads just keep jumping in my shopping cart.  I decided that I was either going to have to start using them - or they were going to have to stop accumulating in my stash.

Today's class had a variety of tips about the basic of mixing patterns - size of patterns, boldness of patterns, ways to set apart the patterns and the use of a striped strip.  My card for today tries to use a little bit of everything that I learned. (There were a number of techniques for setting patterns apart - I used a white mat.)  I most definitely did not get overly creative with this card - I used papers from one pad instead of trying to mix and match my own and, although there are variations in size and boldness, the patterns are still pretty basic!!  Even so - this is quite a bit of pattern for me!!

Sending Hugs
One of the things that I always love about these classes are all the other tidbits that you pick up when you watch the videos.  Kristina loves twine bows.  I like twine too - but usually I have to have some kraft on the card so it's all matchy-matchy.  I loved her twine - so tucked it on mine - such a nice contrast!    Jennifer talked about bending acrylic stamps - the stem on my card is actually a straight stamp that I bent.  I always watch very carefully for the basic supplies and the techniques that they use.  Did you know there are clear pop dots?  How cool is that?
My sketch comes from Freshly Made Sketches.
  • Stamps: Simon Says Stamp Flower Friend
  • Paper: Lawn Fawn Bright Side 6x6 pad, Papertrey Plum Pudding
  • Ink: Papertrey Plum Pudding, Stampin' Up Gumball Green and Vintage Violet (really old!)
  • Accessories: Stampin' Up twine, Martha Stewart Bright Large Gemstones

28 comments:

  1. Hi Kim
    Fabulous card... I to have signed up .... Brilliant ideas...,
    Hugs Sylvie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty and happy card! I love your mix of dsps. Even with using all of the different dsp you still managed to achieve a CAS look. Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might have chosen very basic patterns Kim but they are lovely! A very pretty card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where to start my friend. Your card turned out gorgeous and you applied the lessons perfectly! My all time favourite and most hoarded paper pad too. Works great with that sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty Kim, love the pop of colour from the orange center of the flower. Love these papers too...so pretty and I think it is very creative-your paper mixing is spot on! This class sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card, love the mix of papers and spring colors! Thanks for playing with us at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is pretty bright and happy and fun. So I'm sending you some hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a pretty card! I love your choice of patterned papers, and how you bent the stem on your flower...very beautiful design, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The card is just beautiful. You deleted a nice set of pattern papers. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true about picking up so many tips in Kristina & Jennifer's classes. Love your beautiful card and really love the patterned papers you combined so beautifully with your stamped focus piece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great card. Love the colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. THis is such a bright lovely card. I love the patterned papers you chose to accent your focal image. These classes are great aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like a very worthwhile class to take. And it looks like you are taking to it like a fish to water because you've matched up some very pretty papers! I'm curious about the clear pop dots. I've got some clear glue dots that are very thick. Is that the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Popped over from the Pattern Play class. I love this card. It's such a great CAS card using patterned papers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kim, I think this is perfect! I love how your flower matches the PP, and the colors are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a gorgeous card! The twine bow is perfect and the patterns work great together. Well done :) It's so pretty I'm pinning it too. I like your point about the extra techniques and basic things to do differently. Visiting you from class!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty card...Heard about this online class and sometime should enroll myself to learn as am a newbie in cardmaking!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this card! great colours and lovely balance of design. I am not that keen on twine usually but I like it on this card - deffinitely the right finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely use of the DSP Kim. your card is very pretty and you have matched your patterns perfectly! I didn't know about clear dots, but was pretty excited to see them...:0)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is just so beautiful Kim! These papers are really pretty and you've used them to perfection! Another gorgeous card - thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches this week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stunning card...love the colors and all the patterns you chose...love that you used both white and purple behind the stamped or pattern paper...really adds dimension and makes the card pop!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very lovely combination of papers and setting it off with the white paper really makes it stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so pretty, Kim ...super colours, love the touch of twine! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautifully done Kim. I must get into using more of my patterned paper too. It's often neglected. x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kim, you have this patterned paper technique down. This is just too dang cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!